On January 19, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Boeing’s state-of-the-art Global Engineering and Technology Center campus near Bengaluru. Boeing India Engineering and Technology Center (BIETC) campusLocated in the Hitech Defense and Aerospace Park at Devanahalli, boasts of a significant investment Rs 1,600 croreIt is slated to be Boeing’s largest venture outside the United States.
Highlights of BIETC Campus
- strategic location: Strategically located on the outskirts of the city, the campus is spread over 43 acres and is expected to serve as an important hub for collaboration with startups, private sector and government entities in India. It is envisioned to play a key role in the development of next generation products and services for the global aerospace and defense industry.
- Catalyst for Innovation: BIETC is set to be the cornerstone to drive innovation, bringing together diverse stakeholders from India’s dynamic aerospace ecosystem. It aims to bring advancements in aerospace technology and contribute to the country’s position in the global aerospace sector.
Boeing Sukanya program launched
Apart from inaugurating the BIETC campus, Prime Minister Modi also inaugurated Boeing Sukanya Program During the incident. This initiative is designed to facilitate the entry of more girls from across India into the emerging aviation sector. The Boeing Sukanya program includes several components aimed at supporting and empowering girls and women in STEM fields and aviation careers.
Highlights of Boeing Sukanya Program
- STEM Learning Opportunities: The program will set up STEM labs across 150 planned locations, aiming to get young girls interested in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) careers.
- Scholarships for Aspiring Pilots: Boeing will provide scholarships to women pursuing pilot training, which will cover aspects such as flight training courses, obtaining certifications, simulator training and career development programs.
- Addressing gender inequalities: By actively promoting the entry of girls and women into the aviation sector, the Boeing Sukanya program aims to address gender disparities in STEM-related fields and foster a more inclusive workforce.
Boeing’s growing presence in India
By December 2023, Boeing India has seen substantial growth, boasting the largest team of engineering and R&D talent outside the United States, with a workforce of over 6,000 employees. The establishment of the BIETC campus and the launch of the Sukanya program reinforces Boeing’s commitment to India’s aerospace development and its efforts to contribute to a skilled and diverse workforce in the aviation industry.