West Bengal has made significant progress in preserving its cultural and agricultural heritage. Geographical Indication (GI) Tag For many products under National GI Drive Mission. The move aims to protect the unique identity and quality of regional products.
1. Identification of Sundarban Honey – ‘Mauban’: The coveted GI tag has been given to Sundarban honey, locally known as ‘Mauban’, which is collected by the ‘Mauli’ community. This approval not only preserves the authenticity of the honey but also serves as an important economic boost to the livelihood of the people living in the Sundarbans.
2. Black Nuniya Rice – ‘Prince of Rice’: Hailing from Jalpaiguri district, black nunia rice, known as the ‘Prince of Rice’, has acquired its GI tag. This indigenous variety of rice enhances the agricultural prosperity of the state.
3. Typical Sarees – Tangail, Gorod, and Kadiyal: West Bengal Forest Development Corporation Limited (WBFDCL) had applied for GI tag for Tangail, Gorod and Kadiyal sarees, reflecting the rich textile heritage of the region. Mirzapur in Murshidabad district is famous for the production of distinctive Kadiyal sarees.
As part of the GI protection initiative, these products now enjoy legal recognition and protection against unauthorized use, thereby ensuring the economic prosperity of local communities and the preservation of the diverse cultural and agricultural heritage of West Bengal.
Important questions related to exam
Which community is responsible for collecting ‘Mauban’ honey in the Sundarbans, and how do they benefit from the recent Geographical Indication (GI) tag?
- Identify the unique variety of rice from Jalpaiguri district which has received GI tag. What is its local name and why is it called the ‘Prince of Rice’?
- Which district of West Bengal is famous for the distinctive production of Kadiyal sarees, and how does the GI tag contribute to the preservation of this traditional craft?
Explain the significance of West Bengal’s recent initiative in obtaining Geographical Indication tag for products and how it contributes to the economic prosperity of the local communities?
Please leave your answers in the comment section!!